The Programmer

The day started with the bad news of the death of a mountaineer on her way to Mt. Everest. It's not that I'm an avid follower of mountaineering. I even take death in a matter of fact way. But the picture that accompanied the article, shook me somewhat.

The picture showed her in a happy moment with her husband. They looked so wonderful together... they shared the same passion... they seemed to be the 'made for each other' couple that all of us want to be.

They had almost reached the summit.. and then suddenly, she was no more!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


'Why do you do this to people?' I asked God. 'Why do you break dreams, destroy love stories? Aren't you supposed to protect them? Why do you support destruction ?'

'Did you really ask me that question?' replied God, and He seemed a little amused. 'You are a programmer, you should have known the answer!'

'Programmer... what do you mean?' I asked, completely taken aback at His reply.

'Remember what you do when you write a program. You create constants, variables and objects. You assign values, properties and functions to them. You increase their value, decrease their value. You insert them into arrays and queues, and you split them when the logic demands. You make them go through if-then's and loops. And when you're done, you destroy the objects!'

I was out of words! It took me 2 minutes before I could say, 'So, you're a programmer, and we are all part of your amazingly complex program?'

'You're a fast learner,' his smile floated through the emptiness and vibrated on the fabric of my inner mind. 'Now, tell me why there are calamities and disasters and extinctions.'

'App crash !'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunshine

Why

Our sanctuary